In 1886 a Michigan lumberman by the name of John P. Fleitz acquired different parcels of forest land, including many sequoia groves, that extended from Double Bunk Meadow to Camp Nelson and Lloyd Meadows. Because these timberlands were so scattered and intermingled with government timber lands, it would have been quite difficult for the private owners to efficiently operate a sawmill. Logging took place for many years and unfortunately many giant sequoias were cut. In 1935, Joseph Elliot was very concerned about the destruction of the giant sequoias by the lumberman. Under the auspices of the U.S. Forest Service, he opened negotiations with the Dwyer-Rucker Timber Co. of Detroit, Michigan to work out a timber and land exchange. In order to develop an economical logging unit, it was necessary first to consolidate these holdings, and under an Act of Congress it was made possible for a private owner to offer his holdings to the Forest Service in exchange for Government timber, and through this method, a consolidation was effected creating a more economical logging unit. The Forest Service was eager for this transfer for two reasons:
- Since the area had just experienced severe economic depression, they wanted to help create an industry where people could earn a living.
- They wanted governmental control of the big tree groves owned by the Dwyer-Rucker interests.
- a location along the lower edge of the timber belt
- a large piece of level ground for a lumber yard with right drying conditions
- a stream for the sawmill pond